Saturday, May 25, 2013

How to build a barn with landscape timbers-PART 1

Not really step 1 since I already dug the the rubble pit foundation, dry stacked the cinder blocks, and filled the cores with concrete and rebar. But we will call it step 1. Pressure treated sill plates bolted with foundation bolts to the concrete foundation. Every landscape timber is nailed with a 6 inch ribbed spike in about 4 spots roughly equal distance from each other.

2x4s nailed to front and made level with shims so my wall is level.

Time for window frames and door frames-Make sure they are level and plumb. I used cedar for the window sills.

Same thing, different angles...

My helper

Second floor going up...





Some inside shots. The cross braces are 2x6s and key to stabilizing the second floor.

More close ups...

This is a close up of the Butt and Pass system. It adds strength to the walls, and looks cool too. Notice the spike connecting the perpendicular walls at the pass, I did this every couple feet or so for added strength.

Inside shot. I used 4x6s at the perimeter of the second floor and 2x6s every 2' between the 4x6s.

Eve to the entry door being framed.

For the second floor I wrapped the framework in tar paper before overlaying with cedar boards. Its important to leave at least a 1/16" gap between boards because they swell when they get wet. The tar paper helps keep water and bugs out. You can see the tar paper on the upper right side of second floor in the pic above and 2 below.

I extended the roof on one side of the barn just for added protection from the elements for the animals.

Galvanized roofing except for the entry door eve which has split cedar shake roof.

Ladder made of logs and landscape timbers lead to second floor.

One of 2 windows for ventilation on second floor.

Stained glass windows in second floor. They came from a demolished house in England.

Close up.

You can see the cedar shake roof in this pic and below.

More to come now that its totally done....whew!

Be sure to see the finished barn!


  1. Thanks! I figure it was about 1000 hours and alot of sweat...and blood. No tears.